Dorm Shopping: what to do and what to buy

  


  Dorm shopping and planning always seemed super overwhelming to me. And it actually wasn't too bad. Here is what I did and what I bought.


  1. See if you can find a picture or tour video of your dorm hall so that you can get an idea of how much room you'll have. 
  2. Make sure your room has a desk, desk chair, or any other necessary pieces of furniture. 
  3. Go to Ikea if at all possible. They have  e v e r y t h i n g.  For cheap! Thats a word every college student LOVES.
  4. Keep in mind that you don't have to buy everything from Ikea. Look at Amazon. They might have a bigger selection and even though it might be a bit more expensive, you want to buy what you will actually use. 
  5. Make a list. Or you will be wandering around Ikea like a chicken with your head cut off. 

Here is what I bought from Ikea : 

  1. This desk chair. It's cute, practical, and very comfy. I opted for this chair over others because it can double as a legit extra seat. Also, the easiest thing ever to put together. No screwdriver or hammer needed. Praise.
    Picture from Ikea.com

    2.  I've always done a lot of homework in my bed. And this bed desk, I guess is what I'd call it, makes it possible to get work done without later feeling like you have the body of an 80 year old. Who knew! Find it here.
    Photo from Ikea.com

    3.  Let me just say, I absolutely love this cart! It rolls, and can fit in narrow spaces (holla!). I'm going use it to keep my school supplies organized or to hold snacks and coffee/mugs. Either way, it will be of great use. I got the beige one because it goes better with my dorm theme.

    Picture from Ikea.com

    4.   I am super excited about these under the bed organizers. I know I won't have a ton of closet space, so these are a must for me. I got two. 

    Photo from Ikea.com

    5.   This hanging storage unit will be coming in handy for my tee shirts, jeans and scarves! I will be able to fit more in there than in the space it takes up in the closet. I also love the side pockets for jewelry. 

    Photo from Ikea.com

    6. I bought four of these throw pillows. They have a feather down filling and are super cozy. 


    Amazon purchases:


    7. I opted for these pillow covers. They are so pretty. I got the blush and white covers. Love. 

Photo from Amazon.com

        8. Bed risers from Amazon. These will increase the amount of storage you'll have under your bed. 


Those are some of my more major purchases or things that matter a lot to me. Also, definitely consider buying:

  • a wall clock
  • command hooks
  • throw blankets
  • laundry bag
  • power strip
  • French press
  • towel set
  • school supplies(new blog post to follow)
  • school supply storage
  • any signs or decor you want for your dorm. (Hobby Lobby, anyone?) You'll be spending quite a bit of time there, so it may as well be how you like it!


I hope this helps you feel a bit more prepared for college! Ask any questions in the comments.

Xo, Kenzie

Cover photo w/o added text from "Style Stock Society".

Comments

Popular Posts