Best of Times, Worst of Times



High School was the best of times and the worst of times. I found friends, grew in my relationship with Jesus, leaned to work my ass off, and began to discover who I am as a person.

But I also lost friends. Lost massive amounts of sleep, had a mental breakdown at least once a week and was constantly biting my tongue due to my temper and potty mouth, and the fact that people generally piss me off.

And I wished away every. single. day.

I wished for college to be here. I wished to be out of this small town I live in. I wished to be older. And I wished to be in any other time but high school.

And soon enough came Graduation Day. June 2, 2018. I walked in with my friends and walked out not knowing when I'd see them again without the stability of school. See, in high school, you're essentially all on the same course. Earning the same credits, taking the same tests and going through the same grueling process of graduating. You commiserate with and encourage each other.

But after graduation, you all fork off in different directions. And I am so happy for my people. They are all amazing and are going to do amazing things. I can't wait to head off to college. But there is a part of me that is just sad. Sad that the people that I have seen weekly for the past four years won't be in my day to day life.

I wish I hadn't wished it all away.

I wish I would've laughed more. I wish I would've lightened up a bit. I wish I would've listened when people told me not to wish it all away.


"It's the oldest story in the world. One day you're seventeen and planning for someday, and then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today, and that someday is yesterday and this is your life." - Nathan Scott

Plan for someday. But don't forget about today.

Comments

Popular Posts